Contributions to this live surveillance will be active from 9am to 9pm Paris time.
- One-fifth of Ukraine is in Russian hands. Prior to the invasion, Russian or pro-Russian forces controlled 43,000 square kilometers of Ukrainian territory, annexing Crimea in 2014 and occupying a third of the Donbass. Since February 24, they have advanced significantly east and south. The Black and Azov seas now dominate a strategic coastal corridor connecting Russia’s eastern Crimea. Today, nearly 125,000 square kilometers, or 20% of the country, is in the hands of Moscow, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday (June 2).
- Siverodonetsk crystallizes the attention of Moscow. “Very difficult situation” Luhansk, one of the two regions of the Donbass, recalled the Commander-in-Chief of the Ukrainian Armed Forces Valery Zaloshny. Siverodonetsk, the administrative capital of the region “80% Occupancy” Russian forces and fighting in the streets, said Luhansk regional governor Serhi Haidai. Mr Zelensky said in his daily news on Thursday evening that the Donbass situation was not over “Has changed significantly during the day”. “We had some victories in the Battle of Siverodonetsk. But it’s too soon. This is the hardest part right now.”He noted.
- Slovenesk residents were called to leave. Russian pressure Donetsk, the other Donbass region, especially Slovensk, is located 80 km west of Siverodonetsk. About 100 people left the city in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, now without water and electricity, and the mayor called on residents to evacuate. On Tuesday, a Russian strike killed at least three people and wounded six others in the city, causing heavy damage, witnesses told Agency France-Presse.
- Gradual return of embassies to kyiv. In his speech Every day, Volodymyr Zhelensky welcomes the return of 50 diplomatic missions to the capital, having previously moved to Liv or elsewhere: “More and more embassies are resuming their full-scale operations in Kiev. Every new embassy returning to our capital is a testament to our confidence in our success. We are confident that Ukraine will be able to defend its state in this war unleashed on our land by the Russian Federation.”
- Candidate status for Ukraine and the European Union. President Zhelensky did not fail to recall his order of priority: “The main task is to mobilize maximum support for Ukraine. First is defense, finance and, of course, politics. Now, in a few weeks, it will be important to get a response from the European Union on Ukraine’s candidacy.
- New European sanctions At the diplomatic level, the EU countries on Thursday approved a sixth embargo package against Moscow, including bans and exemptions on oil purchases, but dropped the blocking of the Patriarch Grill, head of the Russian Orthodox Church, under Hungarian pressure.
- … And American. In the United States, Biden management has announced a series of new restrictions targeting oligarchy or members. “Elite” From Moscow, including Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for Russian diplomacy. “President Biden, I thank all our American friends and the American people for their support.”, Mr. Zelensky noted Thursday evening. Ukraine is waiting for the delivery of the most powerful rocket launcher systems promised by Joe Biden, which he hopes will change the power balance on the ground.
- Preparing for a “war” for the “long haul”. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, after meeting with US President Joe Biden in Washington on Thursday, said Western nations should be prepared. “For a war” On top of that “Long term”. Russia’s war in Ukraine will continue “Many months”Mr. Blingen addressed.
Check out our live stream from yesterday ICI.
Read our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Report. “I am losing my country, it is time to go back”: these Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war
Analysis. Poland, which has been essential since the start of the war in Ukraine, has continued to weaken the EU
Encryptions. European sanctions against Russia: Hungarian Victor Orban gets new offer
Tribune. “To defeat Putin, we must protect Europeans, especially the most vulnerable, from the shockwaves of war.”
Report. Journey of Ukrainian orphans from Odessa to Bucharest
Thread. “Ukraine-Russia, the mental map of the war”: the origin of the conflict is understood
Encryptions. The war in Ukraine points to structural weaknesses in the forces and the armed forces
Video. How the siege of Mariupol resulted in great civilian casualties