Alexander Ermoshenko via Reuters
Ukraine – 37 days after the start of the war in Ukraine, the Russian army is said to have withdrawn. Chernobyl nuclear power plantFrom Humanitarian corridors To make way for the expulsion of the public from Mariopol And Moscow accuses Ukraine of bombing Belgorod in western Russia. The Huffpost Examines the situation.
Russians leave Chernobyl sick and hostage, says Kiev
Russian troops withdrew from the Chernobyl power station, which had been occupied from the startInvasion of Ukraine On February 24, will take HostagesThe announcement was made in the evening of Thursday, March 31 by the authorities Kiev.
“Leaving the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the Russian occupiers took with them members of the National Guard who had been held hostage since February 24,” the Ukrainian state agency Energoatom was quoted as saying by Telegram staff. It is not clear how many Ukrainian soldiers have been taken hostage by Russian forces.
The company had earlier pointed out that Russian troops had begun to withdraw from the plant, which was located about a hundred kilometers north of Kiev. The company alleges that the Russians who left the plant were involved in “looting the premises, stealing equipment and other valuables.”
As quoted by Energottam Defender, The Russian military is said to have withdrawn after being polluted by high levels of radiation while digging a trench in the forest located in the Chernobyl Exemption Zone. Troops “panicked after the first symptoms of the disease” which appeared “very quickly”. They are said to have been sent to Belarus for treatment.
The United Nations Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says it is investigating the matter, and there is currently no evidence to support Energoatom’s reports. Ukrainian experts will inspect the plant in search of possible “explosives”, according to the same source.
“Russian Armed Forces will reopen a humanitarian corridor from Mariupol Zaporoji (220 km northwest) from 10 a.m. Moscow time on April 1, or until 9 a.m. in Paris, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.
The Ukrainian government was to send 45 buses on Thursday to evacuate civilians from the besieged Mariupol port (southeast), after Moscow announced a ceasefire to allow them to depart. According to kyiv, seventeen buses have already left for Mariupol.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Friday it was ready to “operate” in the direction of the city of Zaporozhye, 220 km northwest, with the necessary guaranteed conditions.
“The move comes at the personal request of French President (Emmanuel Macron) and German Chancellor (Olaf Scholes) Russian President Vladimir Putin,” the ministry said in a statement.
The humanitarian situation is catastrophic as tens of thousands of civilians are suffering from food shortages and cold. Both sides often accuse each other of frustrating public evictions.
Blast in Belgorod, Russia
On Friday (April 1), a Russian official accused a helicopter of attacking an “oil depot” in the western Russian city of Belgorod, 40 kilometers from the Ukrainian border.
“The fire at the oil depot was caused by an air strike by two Ukrainian military helicopters entering Russian territory at low altitude,” the governor of the region said in his telegram account.
In another report, he pointed out that firefighters were heavily involved in putting out the fire and that two depot employees were injured. The Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations said 170 rescue workers were involved. Rosneft, the public company that owns the premises, told Russian news agencies that it had fired its employees there.
See also The HuffPost: Views from the inside of Ukraine’s nuclear plant
“Award-winning internet enthusiast. Food geek. Social media maven. Subtly charming bacon buff. Organizer. Student.”