North Korea’s new series of firings is the failure of an intercontinental ballistic missile

North Korea claims an “irreversible” nuclear status quo and justifies its provocations by pointing to joint military exercises between the US and South Korea.

North Korea launched Thursday New projectilesIncluding an apparently failed intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), and “Indefinite type“It was the day after the shooting that brought tension to a peak in the area.

«North Korea launches an unspecified ballistic missile“, the South Korean military’s general staff said Thursday, without further details, hours after Seoul announced the continuation of military air drills with the United States. The continuation of these exercises “A very dangerous and bad choice“, estimated Park Jong Son, secretary of the Central Committee of the North Korean Workers’ Party, according to a press release issued by the official KCNA agency.

The launch was preceded by several missile launches on Thursday, which Seoul said had failed. The first of three missiles — two short-range missiles followed by an ICBM — were fired from the north toward the Sea of ​​Japan on Thursday morning, according to South Korean joint forces chiefs. “North Korea’s ICBM launch failswhile separating the rocket’s second stage, the South Korean military said. According to him, the missile traveled 760 km at a maximum altitude of 1920 km and a speed of Mach 15 (15 times the speed of sound). The other two first missiles traveled about 330 km at Mach 5 and a maximum altitude of 70 km.

See also  Johnson's comment on Putin: Moscow summons British ambassador

Air raid sirens sounded for the second day in a row on the South Korean island of Ulleungdo, 120 km east of the Korean peninsula, local media reported. Although the missile ultimately did not fly over the archipelago, contrary to initial claims by officials, it also triggered an alert in northern Japan. According to Defense Minister Yasukazu Hamada, the projectile “Disappeared in the Sea of ​​Japan». «The continuous firing of missiles day after day is an outrage and cannot be toleratedJapanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said. This initiationStresses the need for full implementation of Security Council resolutions by all countriesUS State Department spokesman Ned Price said that the United Nations has imposed sanctions on North Korea.

On October 4, a North Korean missile flew over Japan for the first time in five years. On Wednesday, North Korea had already launched 23 missiles, including one “”Northern boundary line(NLL) extends the inter-Korean land boundary into the sea while it is in international waters.

See more – North Korea: Japan “strongly condemns” missile fired over its territory

“True Territorial Invasion”

According to the South Korean military, this is the first time since the end of the Korean War in 1953 that a North Korean missile has completed its course so close to the South’s territorial waters. South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol said on Wednesday that the shooting “A practical territorial invasion».

Pyongyang’s show of force comes at a time when South Korea and the US are conducting their largest-ever air drills in the region. The two allies decided on Thursday to extend these exercises.Given the recent provocations from the North“, the South Korean military announced. According to analysts, the training, “was calledA storm in the wake» (“A storm in the wake“), which worries Pyongyang as it mobilizes F-35A and F-35B stealth aircraft.May be used in decapitation operationsUnder Kim Jong Un’s regime, argues Go Myeong-hyun, a researcher at the Asan Institute for Policy Studies.

In the summer of 2022, reports on US-South Korean exercises “Beheading strikesThe flash against the North Korean leaders was indeed disseminated. What exacerbates Pyongyang’s fears is that it already sees frequent joint maneuvers between U.S. and South Korean forces as a general rehearsal for an invasion of its territory. “A storm in the wake“creates”An aggressive and provocative military maneuver targeting the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea“, which on Wednesday condemned the North Korean regime for threatening Seoul and Washington.”To pay the most brutal price in history“. The United States and South Korea have been warning for months that North Korea is about to conduct its seventh nuclear test.

“Preliminaries to Their Future Nuclear Tests”

In late September, Kim Jong Un’s regime adopted a new doctrine.irreversibleThe country’s status as a nuclear power makes talks on its denuclearization impossible in the future and reserves the right to conduct preventive strikes. The declaration was followed by a long series of missile tests in September and October, presented as simulations by Pyongyang.Nuclear strategies“. The latest spate of shootingsEarly celebrations for their future nuclear testAhn Chan-il, a researcher specializing in North Korea, predicted. “It looks like a series of practice tests for their tactical nuclear deployment“, he told AFP.

North Korea broke a 2017 self-imposed ban on intercontinental ballistic missile tests last March, but has since suffered a number of setbacks. In March, the Hwasong-17, believed to be the most powerful ICBM developed by Pyongyang to date, exploded shortly after launch and a fireball was seen in the sky above the northern capital. In May, the South Korean military announced that an ICBM launch had failed.


See more – This South Korean builds a bunker in his garden in case of a nuclear attack by North Korea

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.