About 450 graves were discovered on the outskirts of Izyum, a city recently liberated by Ukraine. Some of the exhumed bodies showed signs of torture.
On Saturday (September 17), the Czech EU presidency called for the creation of a special international court after hundreds of bodies were found nearby.The issueA town in eastern Ukraine recaptured from the Russians, where fighting continues.
«In the 21st century, such attacks on civilians are unthinkable and brutalCzech Foreign Minister Jan Lipavsky, the country that holds the EU’s rotating presidency, said on Twitter. “I call for the speedy establishment of a special international court».
Ukrainian authorities announced on Friday that “Bodies of 450 civilians bearing signs of violent death and torture» Buried in a tree on the outskirts of Izyum.
Ukrainian human rights official Dmytro Lubinets said:Perhaps more than 1000 Ukrainian citizens were tortured and killed in the liberated territories“, and Igor Klymenko, head of the Ukrainian police, announced the discovery of 10”Torture chambers“. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has condemned the army’s crimes.Torturers».
The announcement of the gruesome discovery sparked a new wave of outrage in the West, five months after several Russian abuses were uncovered, particularly in the region. Pucha.
“The world must respond”
«The world must react to all this. What Russia did in Bucha repeated in Issyam“President Zelensky said in a video message that the UN sent a team to the scene to join the Ukrainian investigation.
The United States and the European Union must express their outrage and hold the Russian leadership accountable for its “Responsible“, assured Joseph Borrell, head of European diplomacy.
European Commission President Ursula van der Leyen has called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to appear before the International Court of Justice for war crimes.
President of the United States Joe Biden For his part, he once again warned the Russian delegation against the use of chemical or nuclear weapons in Ukraine.
On the ground, the fight continues
Fighting and shelling continues over thousands of square kilometers where Ukrainian forces, armed by the West, are holding back thousands of square kilometers thanks to a counter-offensive in the north-east. Clashes continue with Russian troops stationed on the eastern side of the Oskil River in Kubyansk, which was recaptured by Ukrainian forces last week.
According to the report of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces,The enemy launched four missile strikes and 15 airstrikes during the day, as well as more than 20 multiple rocket attacks on civilian and military bases in Ukraine.».
A “bombed” thermal power station
There was a thermal power stationBombed by Russian invaders“Saturday, September 17 Mykolaivka, said Pavlo Kyrylenko, governor of the Donetsk region on Telegram, will lead to fire and cuts in drinking water. “Aggressors deliberately target infrastructure in the area and try to inflict as much damage as possible, primarily on civilians.»
In neighboring Dnipropetrovsk region, “The Russians with Krats, several rocket launchers and heavy artillery continued to shell the Nikopol district throughout the night.“Local governor Valentin Reznitchenko indicated that there were no victims, but significant material damage.
Russian military denies targeting civilian infrastructure or residential areas, “”High precisionAgainst Ukrainian positions in Mykolaiv and Karkiv regions.
“Award-winning internet enthusiast. Food geek. Social media maven. Subtly charming bacon buff. Organizer. Student.”