At least 6 people died and Erdogan condemned the “heinous attack”.

A “female suicide bomber” is behind an attack on a Turkish city’s main shopping and tourist avenue this Sunday that killed at least six people and injured 81, including two others.

A loud explosion was heard in the busy shopping street of Istiklal in the heart of Istanbul this Sunday afternoon. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the “heinous attack” that “killed 6 people and injured 81, including 2 seriously,” according to a final statement issued by Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay in the evening.

“The first observations suggest a terrorist attack,” said Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “According to the first information, we consider this to be a terrorist attack due to the detonation of a bomb by an assailant, who is a woman,” Fouad Okte announced.

No claim was made for the evening attack.

“Those responsible for this heinous attack will be unmasked. Let our people rest assured that the perpetrators will be punished,” he vowed two hours after the blast.

“Efforts to trap Turkey and the Turkish nation in terror will no longer achieve their goal today or tomorrow than yesterday,” assured Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

“We are not afraid”

The blast occurred shortly after 4pm local time (2pm French time) as crowds gathered on Istiklal Street.

“We’re not scared, we heard the explosion, but we’ll stay open until the police come to shut us down,” Mustafa Guler, manager of a nearby restaurant, Keef, told AFP. told Nesivade.

“I’m not afraid,” said Derin, the manager of a hotel located in an alley 200 meters down. “But I’m angry,” he said, calling himself an “opposition supporter.” “Anger that my country finds itself in such a situation again.”

See also  80,000 homes were without power in mid-afternoon after a substation in Lamentin malfunctioned.

Tourists were still roaming near the blast site on Sunday evening. “We’re not afraid, we know that [les attentats] This kind of thing happens often in the country,” explained Silvana Sasa, a 27-year-old Gabonese woman who arrived in Istanbul 10 days ago. “Since we didn’t stay long, we continued shopping. [apr├Ęs l’explosion]We will return tomorrow morning”.

According to images broadcast by social networks at the time of the explosion, it can be heard from afar, accompanied by flames that immediately trigger a movement of panic. These images show a large black crater with many bodies on the ground nearby.

Istiklal Street was already hit in 2015-2016 during an offensive campaign targeting Istanbul. Claimed by the Islamic State group, it killed nearly 500 people and injured more than 2,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.