Sir Rod Stewart gave out his “deepest apologies” after a video of him staging a mock execution in Arizona’s desert was uploaded on Instagram.

The video posted to social media seemingly showed the singer staging a fake beheading nt unlike those preformed by the terrorist group ISIL.

Sir Rod, 72, stated that his actions that day had been “misinterpreted”.

Video Footage

He said that he was with a group of friends and they were actually “playing out Game Of Thrones” as they were “larking about” before one of his shows.

The clip was later deleted from wife Penny Lancaster’s personal Instagram account.

The video showed Stewart and his wife with a few of their friends as they were in Abu Dhabi for his world-wide tour on Thursday.

The star later released a statement, stating: “From re-enacting the Beatles’ Abbey Road crossing to spontaneously playing out Game Of Thrones, we were simply larking about pre-show.

“Understandably, this has been misinterpreted and I send my deepest apologies to those who have been offended.”

In the footage, Sir Rod could be seen leading his friends in a line, as Lancaster stood at the back, walking along the rolling sand dunes.

Lancaster, 45, then rolls down the sand dunes, stretching herself out on the golden sand.

‘Sickened’

The singer appears to stand behind Lancaster and seems to put a hand across his friend’s neck, who sat in front.

One of ISIL’s former hostages,  John McCarthy, said to BBC Radio that Sir Rod had morphed “a grotesque thing into a kind of pantomime”.

The journalist has been kidnapped whilst in Lebanon back in 1986, and stated that is isn’t clear whether the singer was actually “larking about” or seriously thinking about the situation of many of the hostages.

Families of kidnap victims are sure to feel “absolutely sickened” had the singer actually joked about their struggles, he mentioned.

“Your blood runs cold just imagining what it must be like to be in that situation in the last moments of your life or, indeed, as relatives to see that,” he stated.